Bloomington Family Escapes Early Morning House Fire | WGLT

Bloomington Family Escapes Early Morning House Fire

Oct 29, 2018

Bloomington fire officials are reminding homeowners who use a fireplace to have their chimneys inspected and swept. 

This follows an early morning fire Monday that started in the home's fireplace.

Fire crews were called to a single-family home at 1009 E. Jefferson St. at 3:13 a.m. Crews reported heavy smoke showing from the eaves of the home. The family escaped unhurt.

Investigators said the fire was accidental. The damage to the home was estimated at $50,000.

The Normal Fire Department also joined Bloomington crews in the battling the fire.

WGLT depends on financial support from users to bring you stories and interviews like this one. As someone who values experienced, knowledgeable, and award-winning journalists covering meaningful stories in Central Illinois, please consider making a contribution.