You've invested a lot into the furniture in your yard. Make sure it lasts.
- Outdoor furniture come in a variety of materials: wicker, wood, fabric, aluminum, wrought iron and concrete.
- Use mild soapy water to clean wooden furniture that's been coated with an exterior-grade varnish. Make sure you completely rinse the furniture with clean water. And store this type of furniture indoors in winter. Soften scratches with light grit sand paper. Sand paper also removes bird droppings. Don't use a power washer on wood.
- Wicker should also be stored inside. Don't use a power washer on wicker, either, or you'll risk damaging the material. Soapy water and a regular hose will do the trick. Dry well.
- Concrete pieces CAN be power washed. You can also use a mixture of 4 parts water, 1 part vinegar and brush it on the concrete. Rinse well.
- All cushions must be stored indoors during bad weather.
WGLT depends on financial support from users to bring you stories and interviews like this one. As someone who values experienced, knowledgeable, and award-winning journalists covering meaningful stories in central Illinois, please consider making a contribution.