Don't grow just any old bean in your garden. Go with the beautiful and tasty dragon tongue bean.
- This is a versatile as well as tasty bean. The dragon tongue bean is of Dutch origin. A wax type bush bean, they're great as a fresh snap bean when young and as a shelled bean when fully mature.
- Young dragon tongue beans are a cream color and are ready for harvest when purple variegations appear on their stringless pods. Bear in mind, when you blanche them, those cool purple stripes will vanish.
- You don't have to shell this bean—they're fully edible when young. Mature beans should be shelled.
- They're easy to grow from seed. Plant them 1 inch down and 3 to 4 inches apart.
- Water generously and apply light mulch. They'll grow to 2-3 feet.
- Watch out for the Mexican bean beetle and bean weevils.
People like you value experienced, knowledgeable and award-winning journalism that covers meaningful stories in Bloomington-Normal. To support more stories and interviews like this one, please consider making a contribution.