A fire that killed one woman from Normal earlier this month was deemed an accident.
Normal Fire Department investigators, Normal Police, and the McLean County coroner's office concluded their investigation into the June 12 fire on Baugh Drive and determined the fire originated in the kitchen, likely near the stove.
Judith Dawson, 76, of Normal died from carbon monoxide intoxication as a result of the fire.
In a statement Friday, Normal Fire Chief Mick Humer urged residents to regularly check that smoke alarms are working properly.
“The loss of a life from a fire is something we don’t take lightly,” Humer said. “And if you have elderly neighbors or relatives, check in with them, and help them to make sure their detectors are working, too.”
Normal Fire recommends testing smoke alarms monthly and replace them after 10 years.
"At a minimum, there should be at least one smoke alarm on each level of the home, and one inside and outside sleeping rooms," the statement reads. "Interconnected smoke alarms provide the best warning, because if one alarm goes off, they all go off."
People like you value experienced, knowledgeable and award-winning journalism that covers meaningful stories in Bloomington-Normal. To support more stories and interviews like this one, please consider making a contribution.