Normal firefighters responded to a fire in an attached garage on Wildberry Drive as both Bloomington and Normal began their official fireworks display.
NFD said in a statement they were called around 9:15 p.m. Thursday evening to 400 Wildberry Drive, where they found the garage had sustained heavy smoke and heat damage. The department said because the door to the home was closed, smoke intrusion into the home itself was minimal. A damage estimate is not available at this time.
The Normal Fire Department said the fire began in a garbage can inside the garage, where remnants from fireworks the homeowner had been shooting earlier in the night had been placed.
NFD says the home is insured and the occupants are not displaced.
WGLT depends on financial support from users to bring you stories and interviews like this one. As someone who values experienced, knowledgeable, and award-winning journalists covering meaningful stories in Central Illinois, please consider making a contribution.