Statewide: College Enrollment During The Pandemic
Many higher learning institutions, including community colleges, have seen a drop in enrollment during the pandemic. While officials work to reverse that trend, some students say this has been an opportunity to re-think their future plans.
And Illinois prisons began prohibiting in-person visits to slow the spread of COVID-19. They have yet to change that policy.
Those stories and more on this week's Statewide.
* A conversation with David Chih, Director of the Asian American Cultural Center at the University of Illinois, and Teresa Mok, a licensed clinical psychologist in Urbana, about the impact of anti-Asian violence.
* Tim Shelley of WCBU talks with Steve Fiffer, co-author of "It's In The Action." It's the memoir of the late civil rights pioneer, the Rev. C.T. Vivian.
* Chase Cavanaugh interviews the author of a book on the history of Irish immigrants in Illinois.
* Patrick Smith with WBEZ looks at an Illinois Department of Corrections policy that stopped in-person visitation.
* Lee Gaines discusses the Common Application, which will be used by all 12 Illinois public universities this fall. She speaks with the Deputy Governor for Education in Illinois, Jesse Ruiz.
* Adriana Cardona-Maguigad of WBEZ hears from some college students using the pandemic as a time to reflect on their goals.
* Maureen McKinney talks with people on both sides of the issue of parental notification of abortion.
* Sean Crawford discusses the 1970 Illinois Constitutional Convention with Charlie Wheeler, who was a reporter covering the event. They discuss the intent of delegates and how their work has impacted the state today.
Statewide for the week of March 26, 2021Listen to Statewide across Illinois in:
- Bloomington/Normal – WGLT 89.1 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Carbondale – WSIU 91.9 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Mount Vernon - WVSI 88.9 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Olney - WUSI 90.3 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Quad Cities - WVIK 105.7 HD-2 (Fridays 11 a.m. - noon)
- Rockford/DeKalb – WNIJ 89.5 (Saturdays 6-7 a.m., Sundays 2-3 p.m.)
- Springfield/Decatur - WUIS 91.9 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Peoria – WCBU 89.9 (Fridays 11-noon, Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Pittsfield - WIPA 89.3 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Urbana/Champaign – WILL 580 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 7-8 p.m.)
Copyright 2021 NPR Illinois | 91.9 UIS. To see more, visit NPR Illinois | 91.9 UIS.