In addition to providing a public service to the community, WGLT also gives Illinois State University students an opportunity to learn alongside professional journalists through internships and paid positions.
The WGLT Scholarship (up to $2,000) is awarded each year to one qualifying student, or may be evenly divided among multiple qualified students at the selection committee's discretion. Funds must be used for educational expenses. Students may only win the scholarship once during their career at Illinois State.
The WGLT scholarship is made possible by the Dr. Robert & Marilyn Sutherland Endowment and the WGLT Future Fund Endowment. The winning student(s) will be selected by a committee comprised of WGLT staff.
Questions? Contact WGLT General Manager R.C. McBride.
- Must be an undergraduate student and enrolled in academic good standing at Illinois State University (preferably in the School of Communication).
- Must be a current or former student employee or intern at WGLT
- Must have a strong commitment to the field of broadcast journalism and demonstrated creativity, leadership and interpersonal communication skills
How to Apply
The application can be found here. You must include the following items as part of your submission:
- One-page essay demonstrating career goals and reflecting applicant’s interest in a career in broadcast journalism or related field
- Two letters of recommendation
The 2023 application deadline is Feb. 28. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Previous WGLT Scholarship Winners
2019: Kaitlyn Mayer
2020: Cindy Le, Darnysha Mitchell, Jolie Sherman
2021: Catrina Petersen, Camberyn Kelley, and Tiffani Jackson
2022: Samantha Hill, Mary Kloser, and Jordan Mead