In addition to providing a public service to the community, WGLT also gives Illinois State University students an opportunity to learn alongside professional journalists through internships and paid positions.
The WGLT Scholarship ($1,500) is awarded each year to one qualifying student. Funds must be used for educational expenses. The scholarship is made possible by the Dr. Robert & Marilyn Sutherland Endowment.
Questions? Contact WGLT Program Director Mike McCurdy.
- Must be an undergraduate student and enrolled in academic good standing in the School of Communication at Illinois State University
- Must be a current or former student employee or intern at WGLT
- Must have a strong commitment to the field of broadcast journalism and demonstrated creativity, leadership and interpersonal communication skills
How to Apply
- Complete the WGLT scholarship application
- Submit a resume
- Submit a one-page essay demonstrating career goals and reflecting applicant’s interest in a career in broadcast journalism or related field
- Submit two letters of recommendation
- Selection committee to include several members of WGLT’s staff
The 2020 scholarship application deadline has passed. We expect the 2021 window to open by October 2020.
Send all of the above materials to:
School of Communication
Campus Box 4480
Illinois State University
Normal, IL 61790-4480
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Previous WGLT Scholarship Winners
2019: Kaitlyn Mayer
2020: Cindy Le, Darnysha Mitchell, Jolie Sherman