© 2024 WGLT
A public service of Illinois State University
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Nobody Injured In Normal Apartment Fire

fire truck
An apartment at 1008 Morgan Street in Normal sustained heavy heat and smoke damage Monday afternoon.

No one was injured after an apartment on Morgan Street in Normal caught fire Monday afternoon.

The Normal Fire Department says the apartment at 1008 Morgan Street sustained heavy heat and smoke damage, especially in the kitchen. The apartment on the first floor is one of eight in the two-story structure.

NFD said all occupants of the building were able to evacuate safely.

“While the carbon monoxide detector in the apartment was functioning and was sounding, the smoke alarm was not functioning and appeared to have had the battery removed," said Normal Fire spokesperson Matt Swaney.

He added: “By the time the carbon monoxide levels reach the threshold for an alarm, a fire could be raging out of control. A working smoke alarm provides the early warning you need to get out safely.”

NFD did remove two cats from the apartment who were then treated with oxygen using special masks designed for animals.

A damage estimate is not available at this time, and authorities are still working on the cause of the fire.

People like you value experienced, knowledgeable and award-winning journalism that covers meaningful stories in Bloomington-Normal. To support more stories and interviews like this one, please consider making a contribution.

Jon Norton is the program director at WGLT and WCBU. He also is host of All Things Considered every weekday.