Bloomington Won't Pursue Sales Tax Sharing With Normal, Puts Off Gaming Machine Fees | WGLT

Bloomington Won't Pursue Sales Tax Sharing With Normal, Puts Off Gaming Machine Fees

Jun 13, 2016

Bloomington put off a proposal for possible video gaming fees until their Committee of the Whole meeting next Monday.
Credit brownpau / Flickr

The Bloomington City Council chose to put off a vote on video gaming machine fees for one week. 

Currently business owners who own video gaming machines don't pay fees. The proposed ordinance could charge them up to $500 per machine. Alderman Amelia Buragas said the week delay will allow aldermen to mull over the idea. 

"Proposals for today were to consider either a $500 per machine fee, or  $200, or something in between, council had the discretion to also come up with a different solution, which is I think why we would prefer to discuss it first at a committee of the whole" said Buragas.  

That meeting will take place Monday. Buragas said  a vote for the gaming machine fees will not take place until the next council meeting, or possibly later depending on how further discussion goes. 

 In a straw poll, 5 of the 9 aldermen expressed a desire to not to pursue a possible sales tax sharing agreement with Normal. Bloomington Mayor Teri Renner said if a business were to come to Bloomington, the city would receive 60 percent of the sales tax, with the other 40 percent going to the town of Normal. The idea behind the rejected sharing agreement was to promote unity between the two cites, as well as joint economic growth.