Our yards can be magnificent temples of flowers, trees and ornaments. Yards can also be a verdant playing ground for weekend athletes. You've just got to make sure your lawn is up to the task.
- If you're playing croquet, badminton, golf or volleyball, you need to find out what type of turf and how high it needs to be in order to create a great playing field.
- The tighter the lawn is mowed, the closer to the ground it is, the faster and further the balls will roll, so that's great for croquet!
- Tightly mowed grass, on the other hand, is bad for sports where you throw yourself bodily around, like volleyball. You'll want longer grass to provide a bit of a cushion if you crash.
- Be careful of items in the landscape, like a built in sprinkler system. Keep your play away from hard elements.
- Golfers can put with ease with a landscape that has bentgrass planted, rather than traditional bluegrass.