Buying gardening supplies in bulk can be a good idea, so long as you're careful about a few things.
- Ricky in Bloomington asked Murph about bulk buying compost, manure and other gardening materials.
- Murph said it can be a good idea, but you've got to have a place to put it all. Know your measurements, because cubic yard by weight and by volume are very different. So you'll need to know just how much you need before you place your order, otherwise your yard could get smothered by a massive delivery of mulch!
- If you store materials such as mulch, you need to be aware of the possibility of attracting mice, plus you could get a stain on your driveway if it's left there too long.
- Here in central Illinois there are many companies that sell bulk. Twin City Wood Recycling would be a great place for Ricky to try and find gardening material.
- Whatever company you do business with, make sure they sterilize the material so there's no termites or weed seeds in it.
- Large amounts of manure or compost can give off an unpleasant odor in the hot summer days, so long term storage of a bulk buy might not be such a great bargain, after all.