Normal Fire: House Fire Deemed Electrical | WGLT

Normal Fire: House Fire Deemed Electrical

Apr 3, 2019

Investigators say a fire that heavily damaged a home in Normal and sent one man to the hospital was caused by an electrical problem.

The Normal Fire Department issued a news release on Wednesday indicating the blaze at 101 E. Irving St. on Sunday evening started in the wall space around an area of an electrical outlet.

Investigators determined the fire was an accident. It caused an estimated $100,000 in damages, pending an insurance company appraisal.

Fire crews from Normal, including off-duty personnel, were assisted by the Bloomington Fire Department’s Rapid Intervention Team.

NFD rescued a man from the home after discovering flames coming from the basement windows and smoke coming from the roof.

The fire department said the home’s roof collapsed while the home sustained heavy smoke, fire and water damage. Crews remained on scene for nearly four hours to extinguish the fire.

The fire department said the home was listed for sale, but the man was still living in the home and all of his personal property was inside.

WGLT depends on financial support from users to bring you stories and interviews like this one. As someone who values experienced, knowledgeable, and award-winning journalists covering meaningful stories in Central Illinois, please consider making a contribution.