GLT's Grow: Campus Offers Living Laboratory
Many college or universities offer the opportunity to tour their campus to learn about the various plantings and absorb some inspiration.
- Patrick Murphy leads the Illinois State University tours of the Fell Arboretum, and said that in about an hour you can tour through the plantings on the ISU campus and see several generations of trees.
- You can get a good idea of how a tree looks in various phases of growth and how it impacts a particular area to see how that tree may work in your yard.
- The ISU quad features many interesting specimens and has been called a living laboratory for students and community members alike.
- Within the quad, you can see 150 species of trees and plants.
- Pecan , beech, gingko, scarlet oak and paw paw are just some of the trees you can view on the ISU quad.
- Many colleges offer tree tours, so try and find one in your community to see the plants you hope to plant 'in action.'