© 2024 WGLT
A public service of Illinois State University
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Unattended cooking fire displaces 6 in Bloomington senior apartments

Staff Photo

Six people were displaced by a cooking fire at a senior apartment complex near downtown Bloomington on Tuesday, according to the Bloomington Fire Department.

The fire department was called to Washington Senior Apartments at 510 E. Washington St. shortly after 4:30 p.m., said fire department public information officer Frank Friend.

Friend said the fire started inside a third-floor apartment and resulted from cooking left unattended. He said the apartment’s sprinkler system helped quickly extinguish the blaze.

The fire caused moderate smoke, fire and water damage. The first and second floors of the building also sustained water damage.

No one was injured.

Friend said the displaced residents are seeking assistance from the American Red Cross.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, there are nearly 173,000 annual cooking fires that cause more than 4,800 injuries (excluding fire department personnel) and more than $1 billion in property loss.

Eric Stock is the News Director at WGLT. You can contact Eric at ejstoc1@ilstu.edu.
Related Content