102 More ISU Students Test Positive For COVID-19
UPDATED 2:55 p.m. | An additional 102 Illinois State University students have tested positive for COVID-19 in the past day, the university said Friday.
That brings ISU's total positive count to 512 students, or about 2.5% of the student body. ISU's testing positivity rate in the past week is 24%. There are 44 students isolating in on-campus housing.
Illinois Wesleyan University reported 13 additional cases among students on Friday. That brings IWU's total to 63 students, most of them contracting it through community spread. That's about 4% of the student body.
Meanwhile, McLean County reported 80 new confirmed cases countywide on Friday. (ISU students are included in the county numbers, but the results are not necessarily reported out on the same days. That's why the numbers don't always match up, according to the McLean County Health Department.)
The county’s seven-day rolling testing positivity rate has climbed to 8.6%. This is the third consecutive day the positivity rate has exceeded 8%. That could push McLean County into a warning-level status. While that designation does not automatically place tighter restrictions on the county, it could trigger local leaders to pass their own set of rules.
Of the 80 new cases, 63 were college-aged people between the ages of 18 and 29. One case is a younger teenager and another is an infant under 1 year of age.
There are currently 529 active cases in McLean County, including three people in the hospital and 526 who are isolating at home.
The new cases come as Pekin-based Reditus Labs performed a record 832 tests at the Interstate Center on Thursday. The seven-day average of 653 daily tests also is a record.
Testing remains available at the following locations:
- Interstate Center, Bloomington. Open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. No symptoms needed. Managed by Reditus Labs.
- Chestnut Family Health Center, 702 W. Chestnut St., Bloomington. Open 1-4 p.m. Mondays and 9 a.m. to noon Fridays. Call (309) 557-1412 to schedule an appointment. No symptoms needed. Free and open to any McLean County resident.
- Health department testing on Thursdays in Colfax, LeRoy, and Heyworth. Location rotates every week through September. See full schedule.
- Walmart in Normal. Only available on select days. See schedule.
- Sports Enhancement Center in Bloomington. Make an appointment.
WGLT depends on financial support from users to bring you stories and interviews like this one. As someone who values experienced, knowledgeable, and award-winning journalists covering meaningful stories in central Illinois, please consider making a contribution.