McLean County health officials announced the county’s first new coronavirus case in three days as the state prepares to move to the next phase of its reopening plan.
The McLean County Health Department said Thursday the county has one new COVID-19 case to bring the county’s total of confirmed cases to 254.
The latest case involves a resident in their 30s, according to agency Administrator Jessica McKnight.
She added two more patients have recovered. The county has 10 patients who are isolating at home, while none are hospitalized. Thirteen patients have died.
About 90% of those who have contracted the coronavirus have recovered.
McKnight said the county's seven-day testing positivity rate stands at 2.1%, a slight drop from last week. She said 11,900 McLean County residents have been tested for the coronavirus.
Illinois’ improved health metrics over the last month have enabled the state to move to Phase 4 of the Restore Illinois plan, but McKnight said that is not a license to be irresponsible.
“We are all excited about resuming our ‘normal activities,’ but we continue to caution everyone that COVID-19 is still present,” McKnight said.
The rate of COVID-19 infections has fallen in recent weeks, but McKnight said it’s too soon to relax.
“We are wanting to take this slow and steady because we want to remain in Phase 4,” she said. “We don’t want to move backwards. We’ve done well in this state--and this community especially, to continue moving forward and we want to just keep on that trajectory.”
Starting Friday, fitness centers, bars and restaurants, child care centers and schools can all reopen under Phase 4. The state also will allow gatherings of up to 50 people.
We’re living in unprecedented times when information changes by the minute. WGLT will continue to be here for you, keeping you up-to-date with the live, local and trusted news you need. Help ensure WGLT can continue with its in-depth and comprehensive COVID-19 coverage as the situation evolves by making a contribution.