Black History essay contest winners write of resilience of people to break down barriers
The winners of the City of Bloomington Black History Essay Contest speak to the resilience of people who used some of their most valuable assets to break through societal barriers.
All this week on WGLT's newsmagazine Sound Ideas, we've asked this year's contest winners to read their essays. The audio of those winners is below.
Here are the winners of the contest that encourages youth and community engagement and cultural awareness:
- Jolene Wilts attends Bloomington Junior High School.
- Mackenzie McCray attends Bloomington Junior High School.
- Markel Curtiss attends Sheridan Elementary School.
- Christopher Held attends Bloomington Junior High School.
- Jaeda Thomas attends Bloomington High School. Thomas also won an award in last year's Black History essay contest.